the mtn hive
Featuring inspired microunit apartments with shared living space and amenities.
a coliving space
Providing a thoughtfully designed, responsibly developed workforce housing solution.
community in mind
A diverse community of like-minded individuals focused on the economies and sustainability of shared living.
housing in eagle county
“The Turntable is temporarily closed due to insufficient staffing. We prefer to serve you the right way or not at all! We apologize for any inconvenience.”
Mike, Ryan & Steve – The Turntable, summer 2018 sign on the front door
Ninety-nine percent of renters feel that housing is one of the more serious or the most critical problem in Eagle County. *
More than 3/4 of businesses feel that housing shortages negatively impact their ability to attract, hire, and retain employees; up from 22% in 2010. **
Fifty-eight percent of businesses say it takes two or more months to fill open positions; up from 14% in 2010. **
Edwards needs 560 rental units by 2020 just to catch up. Eagle County needs 1,230. *
* Eagle Valley Housing Needs and Solutions (2018)
** 2017-18 Workforce Survey Report (2018)
Like the six sides of a honeycomb, we have embraced six core values that guide every development and design decision for the project.
Just you, your suitcase, oh and all of your outdoor gear…that’s all you need to move in. The mtn hive provides fully furnished units with all utilities and wifi included. With an onsite gym, lounges, a marketplace, community events and activities, all you have to do is show up and unpack.
- Fully furnished units to maximize use and storage space
- Thousands of square feet of shared community space
- Fitness center membership included
- Coffee and tea supplied daily
- You don’t even need a car! (see commuter solutions)
Parking at the resorts? Ugh. Driving in the snow? Bleh. Don’t stress! We’ve got you covered so you don’t even need a car.
- Shuttles will depart from the mtn hive to Avon, Beaver Creek, Vail, and more
- Bike and car sharing
- Bike storage
- On the public transit route
- High walkability and bikeability
- Onsite parking
Our project leader said, “If I can’t put down a yoga mat and stretch, there’s not enough space in my room”. This is the kind of thought we have put into every aspect of this project. From providing bike and ski tuning stations to making sure that shared kitchens have high powered dishwashers and extra prep stations, our goal is to make the mtn hive a space for locals to thrive. Other examples include…
- Units with maximized storage space for mountain sports gear, winter clothes
- Ski and bike storage, tuning, and a gear share program
- Curated lounges to fit every mood and activity
- Gourmet shared kitchens designed with ample prep space
- Thousands of square feet of space designed specifically to fit the lifestyles of Eagle County residents
“There’s so much space for activities!”
Future residents at the mtn hive community have access to thousands of square feet of shared amenity space. But, just having amenity space isn’t enough. Programming of the space is key to activating it. We’ll schedule weekly events and programming where residents can engage with others in the mtn hive community, participate in their favorite activities, and maybe learn something new.
- Community dinners, cooking classes
- Group hikes, ski days, running club
- Outdoor skill development (avalanche courses, first aid training)
- Professional development and networking
We love our community, and we feel responsible for making it a better place. We embrace forward-thinking development practices in every aspect of the development process. From extensive concept research and design layout, to the selection of quality building materials, the Mountain Hive will be responsibly developed for the use and betterment of Eagle County residents for years to come.
- Reducing waste through shared economy
- Energy efficient appliances, heating and cooling systems, and insulation
- Neighboring communities considered in design process
- Maximum impact on the housing shortage with a minimum footprint
You don’t have to be an extrovert to live here, there’ll be plenty of quiet nooks and spaces for you to sit with a book and a hot cup of tea.
- Weekly events
- Resident Portal and App
- Diverse individuals with a passion for the mountain lifestyle
- Space for introverts and extroverts alike
- Integrating the Mountain Hive into the greater Edwards and Eagle County community
a win for the economy
The mtn hive will provide:
- An expansion of the economy by as much as $20 million per year (131 jobs), accounting for a 3.8 percent increase in Edward’s gross regional product (GRP)
- A one-time infusion of $82 million to the local economy during construction
- $2.6 million per year in increased household spending in Edwards generating $50,000 in annual sales tax revenue
- An increase in local volunteer hours representing $431,000 value to the nonprofit sector annually
- The opportunity cost of not building this project, leaving jobs unfilled, is estimated at $891,000 per year
a win for housing
The mtn hive will:
- Provide approximately 33% of the needed rental housing inventory projected for 2020 mid-valley* (p. 25-27 of housing study)
- Provide a much-needed infusion of units, in a community where 61% of employees feel major frustration finding housing they desire at an affordable price. This Trend is worsening** (p.12 2018 workforce housing survey)
- Allow businesses the ability to master lease, alleviating pressure on the 78% of businesses that feel that housing negatively affects their ability to attract, hire, and retain employees** (p.10 workforce housing survey)
* 2017-2018 Housing Needs Assessment, ** 2018 Workforce Housing Survey
a win for transportation
The mtn hive will:
- Reduce in-commuting by 70,000 per year, which will significantly reduce valley-wide traffic
- Save nearly 114,000 gallons of gasoline per year
- Provide public electric car charging stations on-site
- Be located on Highway 6 public transit
- Be walking and biking distance to hundreds of local shops, restaurants, and entertainment
- Improve roadways
a win for the climate
The mtn hive will:
- Reduce local carbon emissions by 6% through fewer commuter hours
- Reduce excess consumption by utilizing the economy of sharing
- Reduce energy consumption through smart home and smart building technology
- Meet the minimum requirements International Energy Conservation Code
You can't build this fast enough! Get it done!
We had a front desk position open for over six months because of the lack of housing. We love this idea and would love to be involved in growing our community.
I haven't taken a vacation in over two years because I can't keep enough employees. This is already a common housing style in Europe and I am happy to see it come to Edwards.
I fully support this project!
We love the location. It will have a positive impact on our business.